Posted by: shelley | 2010-06-18

panic attacks and pregnancy / birth

I wonder if I could please have some advice regarding panic attacks during pregnancy and during birth.

I have suffered from quite severe panic attacks for the last few years. My husband and I want to start a family but I am terrified that having attacks while pregnant or while giving birth will do harm to both me and the baby

Please can you give me all the advice you have on coping with attacks during pregnancy - can you still take the anti depressant medication? (I am on Leximal 20mg) How are attacks treated during pregnancy? One thing that really makes me panic is vomiting - honestly I am completely phobic about it - I can''''t hear it or see it or be around anyone who is sick! I know you can get morning sickness - how can I cope with that?

With regards to labour is it better to go for a planned C section or natural? Which is safer and what will the nurses and doctors do if I have an attack while I am in labour? Could it kill the baby?

I have heard you will be paralyzed and can get very nauseas when you have a c section - I will certainly panic then!

I am desperate for this advice - please help me

The best option will be to consult a psychiatrist and to make use of his/her expertise during your pregnancy. There anti-depressants that are safe during pregnancy but this needs to be monitored by a psychiatrist.

The labour process can be extremely stressfull but with the correct medication it can be a breeze. A C-section can be well planned and well executed.

Good luck with starting a family.

Posted by: Wendy | 2010-06-24

I also suffer from panic attacks and had to have a c-section a year ago - i was PETRIFIED. I mentioned it to the anaesthetist beforehand and I was perfectly fine. They put me on oxygen when I started panicking, and after that everything was 100%. Good luck!

Reply to Wendy