Posted by: penny | 2009-03-31

panic attacks and hypnotherapy

Hi Shrink, I see my post suggesting hypnotherapy for panic attacks was deleted- by whom? Anyway, as I said in that post, hypnotherapy WITH A REGISTERED EXPERIENCED CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST did help me, so why do you specifically advise against it? I' m not being argumentative here- I seriously want to know.

I will delete any post I wish to, if it recommends treatments that are NOT adviseable in particular situations. OF coruse hypnotherapy should never ever be embarked on except with a registered and experienced psychologist or psychiatrist, but no competent shrink would recommend it for treating panic disorder. There is NO good evidence that it is effective in this condition, and much good evidence that medications and/or CBT DO work with lasting benefits. Amateurs ( and some professionals are exceedingly amatur at times, too ) tend to over-extrapolate from individual experiences, which is why research is important to weeight up whether interventions actually have any real and reliable value or not.
Learning light self-hypnosis, which is a term some use for simply learning to relax oneself deliberately when this would be useful, is helpful on various varieties of anxiety disorder, including Panic Disorder ; but not hypnotherapy. Sadly, in SA even some qualified shrinks make naive claims about hypnosis, and clearly don't understand the whole concept o evidence-based practice. I would avoid such practitioners, as a rule