Posted by: Kirst | 2009-02-20

Panic attacks and corticosteroids

I have panic attacks and chronic asthma, do the corticoteroids i take have an added effect on my pani attaks

As al says, panic attacks, and even mrked anxiety, even in someone without a trace of ashma, often include a sense of breathlessness. Some anti-asthma meds might increase anxiety, but I don't see why steroids would do so.
And al --- hearty congratulaions in stopping that smoking !

Posted by: al | 2009-02-20

I am inclined to think there is a connection as I was diagnosed with possible mild asthma during the time I was suffering from terrible panic attacks - in fact I was never sure if my breathlessness was caused by the asthma or by the panic attacks! I was taking Budeflam 200 twice a day and I definitely noticed that my general anxiety and frequency of panic attacks increased. I eventually stopped taking it (about 6 months now) and don' t take anything for my asthma..personally I think my lungs are simply damaged by smoking 25 cigs a day for 30 years! I have now quit (nearly 2 years now) . But I always found that breathlessness was the major symptom in all my panic attacks, not so much the tight chest, dizziness, diarrhoea etc . And incidentally, none of the corticosteriods I tried made any difference with regard to the breathlessness and so-called asthma.By the way this diagnosis of asthma was made by a pulmonogist after all the various lung function tests.

Reply to al