Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2011/01/26

Panic attacks

I am on Leximal (10mg x1 per day) for my panic disorder which I developed over 3 years ago. Currently I have around 4 major attacks per year (more when I am stressed)

I have a fear of death and illness but the thing that really triggers my panic badly is nausea - I dont know what it is about my nausea phobia but I can''t see people get sick, hear people get sick or smell vomit and if I feel nauseas I will have a major panic attack.

I have a tummy bug now (runs) and a little heartburn/indigestion/lump in my throat so last night I was awake the whole night with panic. I would do my breathing exercises and write in my panic diary as my counsellor told me and it would subside for maybe 20 minutes when another attack would hit!

I am really concerned now because my husband and I were trying for a baby and my period is 3 days late - I really didnt think through the morning sickness aspect. I thought I would cope alright because of my coping mechanisms and I am going to take the leximal throughout the pregnancy but now I am not so sure!

I would sugest adding to your medication treatment of the panic disorder, CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Disorder, to help you psychologically to avoid and manage stress better, and to recognize and handle very early stages of panics, so as to be capable of nipping attacks in the bud.
And CBT would be excellent in treating the Nausea-phobia ( a recognized condition ) which should be dealt with soon, as many ADs used to treat panic also can cause nausea, and of course morning sickness nausea is common in pregnancy.
Get all this dealt with properly ( which shouldn't take very long ) before embarking on a pregnancy.

2
Posted by: BeWise | 2011/01/26

Delay having a child, first concentrate on healing and getting better from the panic disorder, try CBT and work hard try all the options to get better, you must be ready to have a child without the extra stress of your condition. Big red flag with the nasaea as a trigger, ever heard of morning sickness?

Reply to BeWise