Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2010/06/15

Panic attacks

I wonder if I could please have some advice regarding panic attacks during pregnancy and during birth.

I have suffered from quite severe panic attacks for the last few years. My husband and I want to start a family but I am terrified that having attacks while pregnant or while giving birth will do harm to both me and the baby

Please can you give me all the advice you have on coping with attacks during pregnancy - can you still take the anti depressant medication? (I am on Leximal 20mg) How are attacks treated during pregnancy? One thing that really makes me panic is vomiting - honestly I am completely phobic about it - I can''t hear it or see it or be around anyone who is sick! I know you can get morning sickness - how can I cope with that?

With regards to labour is it better to go for a planned C section or natural? Which is safer and what will the nurses and doctors do if I have an attack while I am in labour? Could it kill the baby?

I have heard you will be paralyzed and can get very nauseas when you have a c section - I will certainly panic then!

I am desperate for this advice - please help me!

A panic attack during pregnancy will not affect the baby and the effect on you will be no different to out of pregnancy. The same applies in labour.There are a number of antidepressants which can be used safely in pregnancy. There are medications that can be used for morning sickness, though most of the time this is nausea rather than vomiting. Caesareans , like all operatins have a small risk to the mother and thus are usually only done if there is a medical indication. The best thing would be to discuss the treatment options with your psychiatrist prior to falling pregnant.

2

Posted by: Dee | 2010/06/17

I think you should try and adress the reasons for the panic attacks before trying to get pregnant. Do you see a therapist about this?

Reply to Dee