Question
Posted by: Panic Attack Advice | 2010/03/02

Panic attack advice

I have been suffering panic attacks for many years now and my doctor prescribed 4 x 1mg zopax a day along with antidepressent tablets - but now when i went back to him he has told me he wants to drop the dosage and made it 2 x 0.5mg a day.
I have told him that my panic attacks disable me and i cannot perform, think, talk as i shake and tremble and am fearful and want to run away.
If my boss calls me i cannot go to him because i break into a panic attack - i cannot lose my job because i''m a single mom of 3.
I am desperate to get my dosage upped and you cannot get over the counter zopax in south africa - you need to go to the doctor.
I just wantquality of life which i have when i am on the zopax - i don''t care that i may be on it for the rest of my lif,e but i cannot afford to have these attacks and risk my job.
Please help me and let me know where i can get the medication from as i really, really need it. I have sleepless nights about when the tabs will run out.

This sounds like a GP trying to treat a condition where treatment, if the panic attacks are this disabling and not responding to base-line treatment, should be based on an assessment and advice from a specialist psychiatrist.
I would think that your treatment could be much more effective than this, with better selected medication and CBT counselling / therapy as well, which can teach you to control and prevent such attacks using your own strengths. And selecting the right tranquillizer, some can be placed under your tongue when you feel an attack coming on, and this provides more rapid absorption and more rapid relief.
One of the risks of incompletely treated panic attacks with a drug like Zopax, is that you can quite easily become dependent on these drugs, and it sounds as though this might be part of your current problems.
There is no legal or safe way to get the tablets except from a doctor. DO arange to see a good local psychiatrist for a re-assessment and treatment advice - apart from starting you on effective treatment for the panic / anxiety, he/she could also help you reduce this dependency on the Zopax that is making you feel even more anxious

2
Posted by: Panic attack advice | 2010/05/12

Thank you for that. Are you able to recommend a doctor I can go to that will understand my need for Zopax and the need to ween off them slowly as I went to the day hospital and they refused to give me anything. I sit here today with ABSOLUTELY no zopax and am having panic attack after panic attack and it''s really scary - I cannot go on like this. Perhaps if I get a doctor who believes in the Zopax then I can go to a psychiatrist and sort the underlying issue out.
Please let me know soonest.

Reply to Panic attack advice