Posted by: Lolly | 2010-09-30

Panic Attack

I would like to know if there is a way one can avoid having panic attacks?

Are the food that should be avoided?

Can I still go to gym? As this only happened to me the past week and it was the 1st time it ever happened.

Panic attacks / panic disorder responds well to CBT-style counselling / therapy and to drugs also used to treat depression. But you need a proper assessment by a psychiatrist to confirm the diagnosis, as there are also other situations which may cause similar symptoms - especially if I understand you correctly, that this was one single episode, and you don't have a history of a long series of such episodes.
And as Liza wisely mentions, this sort of thing can easily become a vicious cycle where you ca become so anxious about the possibility of a further panic attack that this either precipitates another attack or a least causes an unpleasant period of anxious anticipation.

Posted by: Liza | 2010-10-01

If you worry about having another panic attack it becomes a vicious circle where you''re anxious not to have another panic attack, but that anxiety can trigger a panic attack on its own! The anxiety makes you feel worse, and the worse you feel - the higher your anxiety levels go.

The only non-medication way of handling panic attacks is to go for cognitive behaviour therapy. There you learn how to identify the very early symptoms of a panic attack. As soon as you know that you''re starting to panic - divert your attention to something else, which breaks the anxiety/panic circle and calms you down. This does however take lots of practice.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza