Question
Posted by: JoJo | 2009-07-10

Panic and Depression

I had panic attacks for a long time, in the shops and while driving. Thanks to an understanding GP, the right medication and perseverance I can now cope again. The depression hits me every so often, but I don' t allow it to conquer me and the bouts don' t last that long anymore. So there' s hope out there, you just need to find the right doctor(s) and medication.

Expert ImageArchive

PSYCHIATRIST: JoJo, thankyou for your positive and encouraging message. It's always helpful for people with Panic Disorder to hear from others who have had successful treatment. You make mention of your "perseverance"..an important point..no one gets better immediately. You need to stay the course and the treatment will work. You also mention depression. We often see patients with panic attacks and associated depression, both of which need treatment and fortunately we are able to use the same medications for both disorders.