Question

Panic and Anxiety

Hi there I have this problem that every time i get a slight pain or feel dizzy or get a headache or ibs etc etc......i panic and think there is something seriously wrong with me. Then the panic attacks start and that comes with the feeling that i cannot breathe, i am going to have a heart attack. It is more frequent now as my Doc says i am going through menopause, so many things are changing in my body and i keep panicking about it.
I do not know what to do. I hate having to take tablets - yes cause then i start panicking about the tablets and what they are going to do to me. As i already have hypertension and taking Vital menopause and multivitamins...................aargh just hate these feelings.......

OK, what used to be called Hypochondriasis until they came up with even more elaborate labels for such illness-focussed anxiety disorders. ANd in fact most of the most alarming symptoms you develop when you become so anxious. are caused by the anxiety itself. Menopause doesn't cause this situation itself, but may cause a number of the minor irritating symptoms on which you focus and assume to be of sinister significance.
Fortunately this condition can be very effectively treated.
See a psychiatrist or psychologist for assessment, and a discussion of treatment options. These may include using some meds also used to treat depression, which reduce the basic levels of anxiety, and should ideally also include a talking therapy, CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which will help you unlearn these automatically alarming false but frightening assumptions and thoughts that have become a bad habit with you.
This situation can definitely be changed for the better - good luck, and let us know how this extra treatment helps !

5

Ha ha exactly yes i have done that in the waiting room. Same here from nowhere.........oh well it sucks but what can you do.
Have a good weekend.

Posted by: Lisa | 2012/07/27

We''ll find loads of things to " panic"  about - have you ever been to the doc for panic attack treatment and while sitting waiting for your turn, you have a panic attack - that was my worst!

I often wished I could turn the tap off that controlled my adrenalin gland! I felt as if I had too much of it flowing in my body. Horrible feeling and mine came from absolutely nowhere! My life was normal, no major drama. Very strange thing Yuch!!

Reply to Lisa

Thanks Lisa, i totally get it. I have anti anxiety tabs in my bag as well. But then i panic when i take them LOL....how is it going to make me feel etc etc..............

Posted by: Lisa | 2012/07/27

I''m offering advice because I also have panic disorder or I really should say I USED to have panic disorder. What a pleasure it is to be able to put it like that now because panic disorder is a terrible thing to suffer with ....

Initially I went to my GP who fortunately specialises in depression and panic disorder. He prescribed anti-anxiety and anti-depressant tabs and it took a while to find the right combination for me. Although I did not have depression he explained that a c0cktail of medication was the way to go. I found the best was aropax and xanor and stayed on these successfully for a number of years.

I''m also against taking loads of meds and decided to try and control these panic episodes naturally. I stayed away from triggers that seemed to set me off, e.g. busy malls, standing in queues, driving on highways peaktime, having guests over for dinner, I became selfish with my time, and, and. The best thing I did was join a YOGA group. Here I learnt to go within myself, breathe properly, meditate and be aware of my body. It was the best thing I did.

I also found that walking helped me a lot. I used to do a typical Forrest Gump and off I would go, even during working hours, I would just take off round the block always concentrating on my breathing and doing deep, deep breathing. My husband often woke up in the middle of the night and would find me walking round and round the house even! He would ask if I was OK and then go back to bed.

It may all sound weird and it went on for +- 3 years. Luckily my children, husband, family and colleagues understood but it helped me. I''m now med free for 4 years and life is back to normal. Must admit that I keep xanor in my purse - just in case, but seldom need it.

Just to mention that I was 34 when the first panic attack happened. I am just over my menopause and I had no relapse during this time at all. In fact menopause passed by without me hardly noticing. I was very lucky!

Wish you all the best, vasbyt!!

Reply to Lisa