Question
Posted by: Hope* | 2010/08/24

panic

I dont know if this is a question or just a clearing up of thoughts. I ''ve had this very strangling feeling for quite a while now, on and off. Its horrible, I actually feel as though I''m going to have a heart attack and have to concentrate on breathing. Its as though very huge big hands are clamping around my neck, right around. My throat aches after this experience. Horrid. Psychiatrist says I''m getting panic attacks. With all my stuff...damn, I dont want to have to add another thing to my list.

This surely does sound like Panic Attacks / Panic Disorder. ANd fortunately, it does respond rather well to treatment. Its like a false alarm in your security system - all alarms ring, and the body switches into emergency mode, though there's no need to do so. One often fears one will drop dead, or go mad, or something unspeakably awful will happen - because exactly the same chemicals are racing around as would happen in an awsul emergency.
You mention your list, and this could be a development of something you are already troubled by, or maybe fired up as a side-effect to some other medication, so as your psych to check this out. Generally medication ( including drugs also used to treat depression ) and CBT style counselling helps a lot to bring it all back under control.

1