Posted by: Sherri | 2012-09-13

Pancreatic cyst

Please could you help me. I was diagnosed with a pancreatic cyst 5 weeks ago after becoming seriously ill. The cyst was picked up on a CT scan and was 7.3cm x 5.9cm. I was in hospital for 3 days to get infection down and there was a possibility that it would be drained. My doctor chose to take the " conservative"  approach and put me on antibiotics. I went for a follow up CT scan a couple days ago and the cyst has shrunk slightly, and is now 5.3cm x 5.0cm. On querying what the next step is, my doctor said that we just leave it, with no follow up appointment or further scans. I am not entirely happy about this, as I am concerned about cancer and I feel that this thing shouldnt be in me, so I dont see why it should stay. Firstly, is it possible to check for cancer without a sample of the fluid, and secondly, is it ok to have such a foreign item in my body? I have no history of pancreatitis, nor do I ever remember there being some type of trauma to my pancreas. Im a bit all over the place and I dont know if Im over reacting, or if my doctor is merely being " too conservative" .

Pancreatic cancer is usually a diagnosis made by doing a biopsy, in order to make a histological diagnosis. The pancreatic cyst is not a foreign object but a collection of fluid. If you are asymptomatic and the cyst has decreased in size, you should not be too concerned. You can contact your doctor and ask him/her if you will have to go for a follow-up CT scan.