Question
Posted by: Loyiso | 2011/11/09

palpitations and chest

I was treated for depression and anxiety disorder before and i believe i have not completely healed from them although symptoms are not as severe as they were before. I am not using any medication for that currently. I was taking Remeron for a year, Vinlor for about six months. The above conditions resulted in me taking BP medication (atenolol 25mg and prexum 4mg).
From time to time i feel very down and intense feeling on my chest comes up. This causes me to sweat excessively at night and having bad dreams. I easily forget things happened, and even names of people or where did i meet someone if see him for the second time.
Recently i feel that when i get angry with something or someone, i feel an intense pressure in my chest and goes away when i stop arguing or calm down. It is as if i will collapse if i continue. I also feel my heart skipping some beats...like duff duff duff and then stops and duff duff duff...stop.... I go to the gym 3 to 5 days a week most, doing a lot of cardio and weights without pain. i have been doing it for the last 5 years. i am 45 years old. should i worry about my heart is becoming weak? should i do tests for heart? i normally do ECG at least once a year. Please advise

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Loyiso,

From your description I think we can be very confident your symptoms are not due to heart disease. They sound very much as though they are all related to stress and anxiety. People may have palpitations even with perfectly normal hearts, especially under stressful circumstances.

Being young, your risk for heart disease is low, unless you are diabetic, or you smoke, or you have a very bad family history - none of which you mention.

The symptoms in your chest my involve the heart, eg the palpitations, but they do not mean that you have heart disease, and the palpitations do not mean that your heart is becoming weak. By all means have an ECG every year for peace of mind as you have been doing, but worry less about your heart!

I hope this is helpful. Best wishes. JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/11/11

Hi Loyiso,

I hope this is helpful. Best wishes. JT

Reply to Cardiologist