Posted by: Yvonne | 2011-09-15

Dear Dr,
I am on my second 10day course of Augmentin BD 1000mg 2xday antibiotics in one month for a Sinus infection which caused mucous in the lungs. I have been having physio to clear the lungs.
I have been having very bad palpitations and irregular heart beats with the second course of antibiotics. Could the palpitations be caused by the antibiotics? I was also taking Probiotics that contained Vit B1.
I have continued my daily 4km walks while on the meds could this have put a strain on the heart?

The medication, the infection or the physical over-exertion, can be possible causes for your palpitations. You can ask your doctor for a 24 hour heart monitor test that will measure your heart's electric activity over a 24 hour period. This is essential to make a diagnosis and to prescribe the correct treatment.