Question
Posted by: Nix | 2011-09-12

Palpitations

I am a 36 year old healthy female. I don''t smoke. I drink one or two units of alcohol weekly. I have one cup of coffee each morning. I started having heart palpitations about three years ago. I was going though a stressful time. My GP did an ECG and told me it was a ventricular premature beat. It feels like my heart beats, then misses a beat and then I feel a big beat. Now two years on I still have palpitations regularly (at the moment every evening, always when relaxing). I''m going through a huge amount of stress: my husband left after I discovered he''d had a long term affair, I''m going through a difficult divorce and have three small children. I was taking half a Cipralex a day but my GP suggested I increase to one a day when I mentioned my regular and disconcerting heart palpitations. I increased a week ago and no difference (of anything...more regular palpitations).

I have between 3 and 6 irregular beats per minute. Usually one is followed closely by a second (within 8-12 beats). I can live with it but it''s a horrible feeling. Like the feeling you get in your tummy on a rollercoaster...except in my chest. I an clearly feel it if I take my pulse. I have no other symptoms with the palpitations.

Is there anything I can do. Should I have another ECG? My last was nearly 2 1/2 years ago. My doctor mentioned beta blockers but I''m not sure what they do / if they''re necessary / if it''s better to do nothing...? I''m having surgery (fractured sesamoid removed) in a few weeks and worried about my heart

Thanks for your advice

Nix

I strongly suggest that you ask your doctor for a referral to a cardiologist for tests to evaluate your heart beat. It might be necessary to have a 24 hour heart beat monitor done. It is a continious ECG over a 24 hour period, which will give a clear indication about what your heart beat does over a period of 24 houers. Depending on the findings, your cardiologist will suggest different treatment options.

1
Posted by: anxious | 2011-09-13

Why aren''t you being treated by a cardiologist? ask your gp to send you to one for a thorough check. remember to mention your up-coming op

Reply to anxious