Posted by: Helen | 2008-11-02

palpatations with alcohol

I have had numerous tests - stress test (only managed 4mins and wanted to black out) - muga scan - ecg' s - dopplers - echo.... no problems were detected with my heart YET I continually experience palpations so was given purbloca for it, which seemed to sort the racing heart, although I still have the odd palpatations moments.
I am and have never been really much of a drinker of alcohol but do enjoy a drink on the odd occasion. Lately, however, after only say a 1/4 of a savanna or a few sips of a single brandy, I suffer with palpatations! I do not take these drinks less than 3 hours (night dose) AFTER taking the purbloca.
It wouldnt be a train smash not to drink at all, but I am curious to know.. is it possible for alcohol (first few sips!) to bring on palpatations or are they just coincidently happening for some reason?
Thank you in advance for your help on this.

Dear Helen

Thank you for visiting

I have no plausible explanation for this but if you find that the palpitations have a connection with alcohol consumption, I suggest that you do not drink at all.

Kind regards

Posted by: Helen | 2008-11-06

Hi Ruby
Thanks for the info but I am in Durban..I have looked up and found an endocrinologist here. Its now to find out how much their consultations / blood tests will be! no medical aid! It' s just makes me mad that after doing so many tests, that the doc' s I have dealt with already, haven' t ' considered'  an endocrinologist or delving deeper to find my problem. I looked up hypoparathyroidism and it' s amazing..I have basically EVERY symptom! Not getting paranoid over it as I know it could also not be that, but still, makes me angry that I have had to waste time and money in the last 2 or so years trying to get this problem diagnosed and dealt with! The way I have felt in the last 2 or so years...has basically interrupted me enjoying life!

Reply to Helen
Posted by: Ruby | 2008-11-03

Hey Helen,
I dont know where you live, but if you are in Gauteng and you are looking for an endocrinologist, then I would recommend Dr Gary Hudson (Fourways Life Hospital). He is brilliant. You will wait long for an appointment, but it is worth the wait! I also had thyroid tests done by several doctors since everyone thought I had either thyroid problem or MS, but all the tests was negative. It is however possible to have normal thyroid tests and still a problem with thyroid. When this doctor tested for hypoparathyroidism my tests were all positive and he could treat and cure me. I also had fast HR and palpitations.

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Helen | 2008-11-03

Thank you to both, Dr. Burger and Janet for your responses!
I also had thyroid tests done, and yea, came back normal, but it' s interesting info you gave there, Janet...I will seek out an Endocrinologist within my area! I have never heard of someone being alcohol intolerant to be honest either. But in the meantime I will just not chance anything and not drink ANY alcohol...

Reply to Helen
Posted by: JANET | 2008-11-02

I have just posted the question before you about Hypothyroidism. I too have the same problem as you, palpitation that we very bad if I consume alcohol. As you read, I landed up in hospital and saw a cardiologist. The first question he asked me was whether I was alcohol intolerant - he says that it is a common sign of Thyroid problems. I have suffered from this for years as well and when ever I had a thyroid test the doctors would tell me that my 6.8 - 7 TSH reading was within the limits. But the cardiologist told me that new research has been done and that new evidence had emerged about the classic signs of thyroid problems are not entirely accurate. Try and make an appointment with a Endocrinologist and get him to check you out properly. I am awating my appointment - you may well have a thyroid problem as well. Good luck

Reply to JANET