Question
Posted by: Jules | 2011/04/11

Palpatations

Hi.
I am 31 year old female, don’ t smoke (used to about 2 years ago) slightly over weight but comfortable, don’ t do exercise (sorry).
I get the most awful heart palpations, and they are so frightening, went to see a cardiologist and he said there was a slight electrical problem but that could be sorted out later in life with a pacemaker, which is okay, but how do I deal with them now, they come and go and some days I won’ t have any ?.I have never fainted because of them (yet) but they worry me a lot, how dangerous are they and isn’ t there something I can take to stop them.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Jules.

There are many different kind of palpitations and you don't mention which kind you have. Also, it is important to know whether or
not you have any underlying heart disease. The significance of palpitations may depend on the company they keep - in other words minor rhythm abnormalities in young people with healthy hearts are almost always harmless and can safely be ignored.

Also it is usually better not to treat them with drugs, which often do not work and often cause side-effects, and they often disappear on their own without treatment.

On the other hand some palpitations - usually in young women fast regular rhythms which persist for minutes or hours at a time - are due to abnormal electrical pathways in the heart and are best treated, either with drugs or sometimes with so called "ablation" techniques which can permanently cure the tendency to abnormal rhythms.

Your cardiologist should be able to explain all this to you and answer your questions, so my advice would be to go back to your him/her and ask firstly do you have any structural heart disease and secondly what kind of palpitations you have. You are then welcome to e mail me again.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/12

Hi Jules.

Reply to Cardiologist