Question
Posted by: Jan | 2011/06/12

Paint fume burns

I have painted wooden poles with a reddish mixture I thought were an oil based protection. My face and hands is red as if severely sunburned. very painful on touch. Am I allergic and if so what is a home remedy?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Yes, it sounds like an allergic rash, and it certainly could be a reaction to a chemical(s) in substance (I'm not sure if you're saying it's paint or maybe a varnish?) There isn't a reliable home remedy, apart from avoiding the paint/varnish; you may well need prescription-strength cream or other medication, and treatment is specific depending on the type of rash.

You should really see a doctor about this if it isn't showing signs of improving, or at the very least a pharmacist. The paint/varnish may have worsened an underlying allergy/skin problem. There's also the possibility there are other causative factors.

2
Posted by: Essence | 2011/08/11

Unbelievable how well-written and ionfrmative this was.

Reply to Essence
Posted by: envirohealth expert | 2011/06/14

Reply to envirohealth expert