Question
Posted by: Juliet | 2012/09/07

pains in the heart

Hi I am 22yrs old and have been experiencing some pains that feel like they are in the heart. I dont smoke and im not a heavy drinker. I once had a ganglion and the doctos thought maybe it has something to do with the problem i was facing but it later disappeared and the pains went silent. Now they are back and i feel them at random times. What could ths be?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Juliet

You pains may feel like they are in the heart, but you can be sure they are not. Real heart pain may be due to pericarditis, an inflammation of the lining of the heart, which feels very different to what you describe; or to coronary disease, which is very rare in young women your age unless they are diabetic or smoke or have a familial high cholesterol.

None of these seem to apply to you and you can be very sure your pain is not from the heart. Non-cardiacl chest pain is very common in slim, healthy young women and may be a part of a chest wall syndrome, in other words, it may be arising from structures in the ribcage such as cartilage and muscle. Almost always it is completely benign and all that is necessary is reassurance that it is not heart related.

With best wishes, JT

2
Posted by: Noungning | 2012/09/19

I know several pelope who live in Puerto Vallarta. As an example, our friends had a baby and with all prenatal to birth healthcare it was around $2500. In the US a normal birth is around $30,000. When you go do the doctor''s office in Mexico, you get prompt service, the doctor is happy to see you, he spends time with you, and the prices are reasonable. Most doctors there speak fluent English. All my experiences in the US you make an appointment months in advance, then wait an hour and a half past your appointment time in the waiting room you then go in, spend some time with nurses and assistants, then see the doctor for < 5min, where you feel so rushed that you never feel comfortable that the doctor had enough time to properly evaluate your condition. All this and you get to pay the highest medical prices in the world.You could probably find a great doctor who''d be happy to see you down in Tijuana.As an aside, I always worried about putting my life in the hands of someone who''s supposedly highly educated yet has such poor time management skills as US doctors. I don''t have a doctorate, yet I can manage to meet my appointments within a few minutes of when I''ve scheduled them..

Reply to Noungning
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/14

Dear Juliet

With best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist