Question
Posted by: Tracy | 2011/03/22

Pains in shins

Hi Cyberdoc

I have always suffered from pains in my shins since I was young. Put down to growing pains, then shin splints. My brothers also always had it. We are not a sporty family. Now in 40''s. Its intense &  worsening, keeps me awake at night. I take Panado''s and apply topical ointments. Arthritis does run in family? GP says you can''t distinguish between the inflammation from Asthma &  Arthris so no use doing the test on me.Had dry needling, it works temporarily.GP did that vein blood test (name)? &  no clogged arteries show up in the blood. Mom says it is because my legs are cold? GP tested circulation and it is fine. What can this be?

Hallo Tracy
I would do a full blood count to see if anything shows up in the blood (from the bone marrow) and also do x/rays of the affected area to exclude a cyst or bone disease in the area. If these are normal, one could consider a gallium bone scan to check for stress fracture of the tibia bone. It can also be caused by referred pain from the knee or lower back. I suggest that you maybe see an ortopedic specialist?

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/03/22

Hallo Tracy