Question
Posted by: Yiayia | 2011/02/21

painkillers

A while back there was an article on four painkillers containing a now banned substance - in USA pills containing this substance have been withdrawn. I remember one of the pills was synap something. What are the four pills and what is the banned substance. I am concerned as my daughter-in-law was in an accident on Thursday &  last night I heard she was prescribed synap Forte.

Expert ImagePharmacist

These products are Synap Forte, Lentogesic and Doxyfene - products containing dextropropoxyphene. According to a writing issued by the Dept of Health issued in December, no new prescriptions for this should be issued, although patients whom were being treated with the drug at that stage could have it prescribed for and additional 3 months to allow for a substitute to be prescribed.

2
Posted by: Yiayia | 2011/02/21

Sorry to be a pain - but what exactly does dextropopoxyphene cause?

Reply to Yiayia
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/02/21

Reply to pharmacist