Posted by: Ters | 2008-12-01

Painfull joints

I had rheumatic fever as a child. Now I am suffering from painfull joints. Can it be rheumatic arthritis. My joints are not swolled but, very sore. Mostly my hands.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Ters,
The first signs of rheumatic fever are typically pain, inflammation, and stiffness in a large joint such as the knee, accompanied by fever. The pain and swelling can travel from one joint to another. There may be an accompanying skin rash. Other symptoms may include bumps or nodules over a joint or joints, fatigue, and uncontrollable jerky movements of the arm, leg, or facial muscles. After one occurance, the disease tends to recur.

You say your joints are not swollen. This is less suggestive of rheumatological conditions.
Please see your GP to confirm your medical state.
Also for a thorough musculoskeletal evaluation see your local osteopath. For more information on osteopathy visit

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath