Posted by: Marlene | 2012-06-22

Painfull arms wake me up

I''am to scared to fall asleep as I am woken 2 - 3 times per night with painful arms and needle and pins in my hands.

I sleep on my tummy with my arms extended.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

You are probably compressing the nerves in your shoulders in that position. You should see a neurologist who will be able to more accurately diagnose the problem and advise you about its management.

Posted by: Dawn | 2012-07-06

One should not sleep on on''s tummy, or side. Sleeping on one''s back is the correct way to sleep. I found a chiropractic manipulation did the trick and they will tell you to sleep on your back.

Reply to Dawn
Posted by: Frank | 2012-07-06

i had / have the same problem, maybe a lazy soultion but i learned to sleep on my back. took some getting used to but it works:-)

Reply to Frank
Posted by: Wanda | 2012-07-06

You most probably have a pinched nerve in your neck /vertebra, First you need to see an orthopedic surgeon, take x-rays and then be referred to a neurologist to confirm any diagnosis. An MR scan may even be required. Suggest sleeping on your side with a orthopedic pillow and physio to relax muscles and alleviate pain in the mean time. GP could prescribe anti-inflammatory &  muscle relaxers. Do not waste time to see at least your GP about your problem.

Reply to Wanda