Posted by: stan | 2011-09-21

painfull and swollen ear

Hi i travelled to the coast on saturday and as ussual my ears were blocked and i expected them to cler up the following day and they did not , my one ear has but now it is day 3 and my right ear is sore has a stinging sound in it , i have some sort of discharge coming out plus a bit of blood , the area behind the ear is swollen and i am loosing balance , i visited a pharmacy where i was given Sudafed and voltaren tabs and they seem to provide temporal pain relief but not permanent .
i need help do i go to hospital ? will it need surgey ?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Stan

You require urgent medical attention, as your problem could potentially be serious. It may vary from a middle ear infection and a perforated eardrum, to something more serious like a complicated middle ear infection. The swelling behind the ear is very worrying. Please see an ENT as a matter of urgency. Only a full examination can get to the bottom of the problem.