Question
Posted by: MicR | 2009-01-28

Painful vein

I fell off a horse +- 3 weeks ago. Before I hit the ground, the horse accidentally kicked me on the side of my thigh leaving a large bruise with a hard " bump" . The bruise have all but gone after I treated it with arnica and massage but the hard bump is still there. Three days ago I noticed a vein on my thigh (just below the hip bone), that is painful to the touch. It is also clearly visible under the skin (it wasn' t before). Could this be related to the bruise and should I rather see my GP?

Hi MicR
The hard bump is probably a bleeding in the soft tissue and the sore vein could be inflammation due to this (thrombophlebitis) The iron in old blood causes and inflammatory reaction in the body to help the body to "clean" it up quicker. You have been doing the right thing by using Arnica and you can continue with this. If the area is red, warm and tender, see your doctor as you may need antibiotics - it may have developed a secondary infection