Question
Posted by: Lily | 2009/02/03

Painful Toenail

Hi Doc,

I was away this weekend and barefoot in the dirt! Now i have incredibly painful toenails? (Just the big toes)
The one is worse than the other &  I can hardly even touch my toe.
A friend says I could have a whitlow, but I am not sure? I think it may be swollen as well.

Please help!

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Lily

Sorry about taking so long to answer this, hopefully the problem has gone away by now. It sounds like you got an infection around the nail called paronychia; this can easily be treated with anti-biotics altough you might lose the nail later.

Chris