Posted by: Tash | 2011-07-22

Painful swollen finger joints

About a month a go I started developing swelling and pain in my right hand fingers. Mostly only the middle 3. Some redness appeared on the skin and it felt a bit "  lumpy"  and was painful when I pressed on the middle joints.

i live in a very cold area and many people said it''''s probably because of the cold but I don''''t remember having it previous winter months.

I went on 2 weeks leave and my house is much colder than my office and it went away but when I came back to work it appeared again and this time it''''s much worse in my middle and ring finger (only on the right hand). The skin is red and patchy with the lumpy areas and painful.

I work on a computer the whole day and use my right hand for the mouse so I don''''t know if that has anything to do with it. I still used my PC while on leave (although not AS much) and it all disappeared.

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

one has to consider rheumatoid arthritis as a possible diagnosis and you should see a rheumatologist to examine you and do the relevant blood tests