Question
Posted by: Celeste | 2011-03-03

Painful step in right foot

I am not a fitness fanatic, but do love to walk or run approx 3 or 4 days per week (30 min per session?)
I seem to have developed a painful step on my right foot and in order to adjust to the pain, I have noticed that my step has changed, with a greater lean to the outer side of my foot to accommodate the pain.
I tend to walk / run on the very outer edge of my foot to the extent that the footpad below my big toe barely touches the ground.
When I delibeately try to straighten my foot (to be the same as the left foot) I feel an incredibe pain which shoots from the arch of the foot to the base of the big toe (underside of my foot)
What could be causing this?
Could it be bad tekkies providing ill support?
I do mostly trail running and walking - very little tar roads involved.

HELP?
Should I be consulting with someone like a chiro or podiatrist?
I am about to purchase new tekkies, so should I look for somethign which give additional anti-pronate support?

Hi Celeste

I hate to pass the buck, but yes, the best thing is to see someone. I'd say a doctor who specializes in sports injuries, if you have access, otherwise a podiatrist. Or even a biokineticist might be good, to help diagnose the cause of the problem (because the foot pain is the symptom). I wouldn't launch into anti-pronation shoes just yet, rather look at training and strengthening exercise to sort it out. But the key is diagnosis - you need to know what you're dealing with then you can treat it effectively!

Good luck!
Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-03-13

Hi Celeste

Good luck!
Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc