Posted by: Gabby | 2012-04-07

Painful soles and arches

Hi doctor. I have pain on the soles of my feet, especially in the arch area, whenever I walk, most especially after a period of either sitting or slepping. Its so painful that I can''t walk for several minutes after getting up, and then walking itself is painful. I have a baby of two months and my feet were very swollen as from 5 months in my pregnancy, as well as after my emergency caesar. Apart from my painful feet, I also cannot sit on my haunches or squat as my knees and feet hurt and if I do try to perform these, I cannot get up again. Please advise what this could be and how to treat it. Thanks.

I suggest that you consult an orthopedic surgeon for an examination, blood test and x-rays of the painful joints. It is possible that you are suffering from some form of arthritis. Special investigations will have to be done to make a clear diagnosis, as there are many possibilities for your discomfort.