Question
Posted by: Ann | 2011/04/19

Painful shredded skin under big toe

Hi Doc, I wonder if you can help me please. I recently went to the podiatrist to have an ingrown toenail cut and he gave my feet a clean up/shaved hard skin off etc However now I have a painful shredded type skin under my one big toe.. the skin is flaps and it sticks and lifts. It is raw underneath. I have put a thick layer of fissan paste and a plaster and and a sock. Please tell me if I picked this up from the podiatrist? Is it a type of fungus? How do I clear it? The other foot is fine.

Dear Ann
It is so difficult to say without seeing it, fungus infection usually does not cause broken skin, but usually only red or itchy skin. Maybe your doctor should rather have a look, it could be skin damage due to the treatment you received at the podiatrist. The danger is infection in your foot so rather have it treated sooner than later.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/20

Dear Ann