Posted by: Portia | 2009-08-26

Painful shoulders

I have started exercising and even joined a netball team at work. At the begining I used to feel pain but now the rest of my body is fine exept for the shoulders, they are always paining. I am not sure if this is normal or am I doing something wrong. I mostly do aerobics every morning and I stretch as much as possible but the pain in my shoulders just wont go away. Pls advise. It' s been 3 weeks since I started exercising

HI Portia

Both shoulders? That would be difficult to diagnose, because often someone will hurt one shoulder, not both.

I'm not 100% sure what the cause might be, it could be a simple matter of too much training too soon and your body is not used to it and you're hurtig as a result. I'd back off the training just a little, maybe for a week or so, do less aerobics, play less netball and see if the pain goes away. If it does, then when you start training fully again, you should find that it's better, because you'd have given your body a chance to recover a bit more. However, if it doesn't, then I would suggest that you see a doctor to have a look, because then it's something else you might be affected by.