Question
Posted by: Bela | 2010/03/15

Painful sex

My boyfriend and I have quite an active sexual relationship. We are quite adventurous and are sometimes rough, but recently my vagina’ s been getting quite sore after sex and it’ s impossible to carry on. (Usually we can handle having sex more than 3 times, but now I can only handle once.)

I''ve been doing some research on what causes painful sex, and what can be done to treat it. Apparently I need to do some ‘ Kegel’  exercises to reprogram the muscles in the vagina. Is this true? And also they say that this problem will take a few months to fix? Is there another solution to sort this out?

The solution depends to some extent on where you are experiencing the pain. If the pain is deep, then it may be that he is thrusting too deep and you are hurting your cervix. If this sounds familiar you could try to just penetrate a little less roughly, but if this doesn't change things then have a check up with a gynae, a GP running a 'well woman's' clinic, or your local family planning clinic. If your pain is at the entrance to your vagina, and this is present from first penetration, then it also worth having a check up to make sure that you have no bacterial infection. However, if this is pain at the entrance and only develops after the first 'round' (i.e. you have been okay for a while), then I wonder if you are losing some of your arousal and drying up a little? This can result in discomfort and our natural tendency is to 'knyp' as a protective reaction - this in turn may tense the vaginal muscles. Try a good lubricant (something like astroglide, Durex play, Sylk, assegai, etc)to prevent the 'drying' but also importantly pay attention to whether you are still enjoying all of this vigorous activity. If you are not, then your body may be sending you a message.

Claire - SASHA

1
Posted by: Sexologist | 2010/03/15

Claire - SASHA

Reply to Sexologist