Question
Posted by: Frustrated | 2009-03-07

Painful on top

Sex can be pretty painful for me, so we have been trying with me on top, thinking it might be more stimulating and thus, less painful.
I just can' t seem to do it - I can' t get him inside of me without any pain.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Pain with sex is very distressing and can negatively influence your attitude towards sex because of the fear of pain. There are 2 kinds of pain with sex - pain from the entrance of the vagina (superficial pain) and pain that is felt deeply within the pelvis. Superficial pain is sometimes associated with vaginal dryness or if penetration is attempted before a woman is fully aroused. Even anxiety can cause you to 'tighten up'. If recent intercourse was painful, there may be tiny 'tears' that need to heal before intercourse is attempted again. Deep pain is felt inside the pelvis with deep penetration and caused by a number of conditions including pelvic infection. I would suggest that you have a full checkup to make sure there are no contributing causes. Try doing other kinds of mutually satisfying sexual activity e.g. mutual masturbation or oral sex as a change. Before trying vaginal sex again, make sure there is a lot of lubrication and you are fully relaxed. You might find it useful to get an illustrated sexual manual from a good book store.