Question
Posted by: Elle | 2009-08-13

Painful, lumpy breast

Posting here as Breast Health forum is closed for a month.
I' m 40 years old and have tissue-mass on the outside of my left breast (towards my underarm) which is increadibly painful. Restricting my activities etc. Does not really feel like a growth, however is lumpy. The discomfort is permanent but seems to get worse when I' m ovulating. I' ve been advised to have a mammogram done but have to wait until the breast is less painful - no idea when that will be though. What can it be and what is the treatment? What can I do to relief the pain and discomfort?

Hallo Elle
You can go for a sonar of the breast and if needed a mammogram, usually best just after your menstruation. You may have fibroadenomas, which are harmless lumps in the breast tissue. If they are very big it can be removed although not usually necessary. You can treat sensitive breasts with Vit B 6 supplement, anti inflammatory medication like Brufen. See also http://www.emedicinehealth.com/breast_lumps_and_pain/article_em.htm