Question
Posted by: Petro | 2012-12-06

Painful legs - more at night and cannot sleep

Hi Dr
My husband has always had pain in his legs since a teen. He had an arthroscope operation and part of the right kneecap removed after sport injury. (The pain is in both legs) He cannot sit still with his legs for longer than 2 mins. (He is 48yrs old). The problem is mainly at night. It is so painful that he cannot sleep and even if he falls asleep, the pain wakes him up. He has to then get up and walk around to aleviate the pain. Even if he is asleep, he still kicks his legs in his sleep. This is so bad that he normally only sleeps 2-4 hours a night unless he takes enough pain tablets that knocks him out. (mybulin) There has been times that even with " over-medication" , the pain is so bad that he " sleepwalks"  to get rid of the pain. He is taking magnesium (SR) and athroguard or flexadrin NA Gold. Please help!!! I worry about the state of his health due to lack of sleep.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This sounds very much like Restless Legs Syndrome. The problem is with the supply of a chemical called dopamine to a particular bit of the brain.

Ideally he should see a sleep doctor.

However, being the time of year, this may be a problem.

He should see his doctor to make sure there is no reason why he should not be taking this medication, but if not, he might try pramipexole 0.125 mg about half an hour before going to bed. If this is not enough, he must definitely see a sleep doctor, because bigger doses of this can sometimes worsen the condition.

If his blood iron levels are low, using iron supplements is sometimes also useful.

1
Posted by: Amanda Bosman | 2013-01-14

Please tell me where I can find a sleep doctor in South Africa

Reply to Amanda Bosman