Question
Posted by: Annetjie | 2008/06/11

Painful legs

I am a 54 year old woman. I am not overweight, live a healthy lifestyle, and are still working.
I do not have any problems physically during the day, but at night, as soon as I'm asleep for about an hour, I wake-up with extreme pain in my legs. Nothing helps except to get up and to go sit somewhere.
I have been under treatment for this, which included stress treatment, and treatment for malaria as well. I have been to an oncologist, but nothing showed anything wrong. I am desperate! Up to date, nothing has helped me. I do have some arthritis in one or two fingers, though!
Please help me with some suggestions as to what can be the cause of my problem.

Hallo Annetjie
It may be due to pressure on the lower back nerve roots when you lie down ( positional cause). I would suggest a lower back x/ray and physiotherapist evaluation. Also try sleeping with a pillow under your knees so that your legs are not absolutely flat when you lie down.