Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2010/02/24

Painful knee

I was trying to learn how to skate on ice the other day and I fell. It wasn''t a big fall, but my legs split sideways, causing my right knee tp strech in an unnatural way. It hurt a little, but I didn''t worry too much. Now it''s been a week and a little pain was still there. I still didn''t worry.. till this afternoon, when I sat on the floor with my legs crossed and a child sat down on my knee. When I stood up, it suddenly hurt a lot. Now it hurts when I go up and down the stairs, and in other random situations. There''s a contusion on the right side, even though I don''t remember if I touched the ground with my knee when I fell.
How long will it take to recover, and should I exercise that knee a lot or give it some rest?

Hi Patricia
Rest and Ice it, but let your doctor examine it to check for instability as you may have torn a ligament. If it is stable, rest, physio and anti-inflammatories will probably help you to recover in a week or 3.

2
Posted by: Patricia | 2010/02/24

I don''t know if it''s relevant to the question, but even when my knees aren''t hurt, they usually make noises when I bend them. I''m 24 and skinny.

Reply to Patricia
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/24

Hi Patricia

Reply to cyberdoc