Posted by: Brian | 2008-10-30

Painful Joints

I have been suffering with painful joints, it is because of gout attacks , I have had several operations to remove tophy elbow ,I also had 2 lumps removed where the gout has eaten into the bone.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Brian,
Please stick to your Prescribed medications. Also ask your medical about drug interactions with the following advice.
Devils claw has a long history of use in the treatment of digestive disturbances, arthritis, inflammation, and pain. Recent clinical studies indicate that it may be helpful in patients with gout, low back pain and osteoarthritis. In the treatment of gout, devils claw has been shown to reduce joint pain as well as reduce uric acid levels
Folic acid is also reprted to be effective.
Alcohol increases uric acid production by accelerating purine breakdown. It also reduces uric acid excretion by increasing lactate production, which impares kidney function. Elimination of alcohol is all that is needed to reduce uric acid levels and prevent gouty arthritis is many individuals.
Foods with high purine levels should be completely omitted.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath

Posted by: Brian | 2008-11-07

Thanks Dr Guy for the reply but I don' t drink any alcohol and neither do I smoke.

Reply to Brian