Posted by: crooked | 2012-02-22

painful hips etc

I have a very slight lateral scoliosis of my spine. Is this the cause of my uneven shoulders, tight shoulder joints, often stiff neck left side, often aching hips, especially left side, and cramps down left leg right into the foot?. I recently had an xray of my hips, which obviously including the lower spine and they couldn''t find any evidence of arthritis or pinched nerves. I can''t cross my legs properly- it hurts my hips and outer thighs especially left. I battle tremendously to do lateral movements of my hip joint, for example turning my toes out as far as they can go then lifting the leg sideways, or putting my left foot on my right inner thigh- I can''t reach higher than my knee and can''t turn my knee to the side properly. The opposite movement- turning my knees and toes in, folding my leg in half and lying down- I am quite good at this although not perfect. I also have very bad balance. So, seeing I am already 60, what are the best exercises. I do yoga already, very poorly, with an excellent teacher.

Expert ImageOsteopath

'A very slight lateral scoliosis'will inevitably contribute to your aches and pains but it is important to be aware of your posture at all times, whether static at work or dynamic whilst exercising. If stiffness and immobility increase within the body symptoms will appear eventually. Pay close attention to your posture, try regular low impact aerobic activity such as cycling, try Tai Chi to help with your balance and avoid any unatural movement such as lifting your leg upsideways or end of range joint movements in Yoga. Of course to gain a full understanding of your restricions of mobility and pain I would advise you to consult with your local osteopath.