Posted by: CK | 2009-01-23

Painful Hips

I have developed extremely painful hips (both outer) after running.
I have always used the treadmill with no problem. About a month ago I did a couple of road runs (20min) that same day and for a day or two after, I was in so much pain upon getting up from my chair and then it seemed to ease after a bit of walking but did not go away completely. Now I have developed the same symptons after running on the treadmill (20min) Please advise what the problem could be and what I can do to strengthen this area.

Impossible for me to say, I'd be guessing completely. It could be the camber of the road that caused the problem, though it's unusual for that to happen on both sides. Often runners develop pain on one side because of this, not both.

So I think the switch to the road might be a little misleading, and the issue is more the volume of running. Maybe you just have a weakness in the muscles (often the glutes would cause this, but also lower back, core muscles etc.) that is causing you to develop a biomechanical problem while running. That's the kind of thing that can be assessed, but you'd have to see a biokineticist or a physio.

It could of course be something completely different - as I said, I'm guessing a little here. All the more reason to consider seeing someone. So while I hate to pass the buck, the only way to know for sure is to see someone about it.