Question
Posted by: ann | 2008/07/21

Painful elbows and shoulders

Im 49 and recently went for a bone density scan and my results were excellent. I have very painful elbow joints and in my shoulders. I can not pick up a pot or a kettle with one hand or even squeeze a shampoo bottle with one hand i have to use both and then i have this sharp pain going through (especially) my right arm into my elbow. The joints feel very stiff. The left side is not as bad as the right side. I also drop things easy if i dont use both hands to hold things in. What can be wrong???

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Ann
Probably a bit of osteo-arthritis- the wear and tear changes we experience as we age! Please have it checked out by a rheumatologist who can examine all the joints and make a diagnosis and prescribe some medication. It is probably worse on the right side if that is your dominant side and because you use it more.