Posted by: Andre | 2009-08-19

Painful colon

I am a 29 yr old male. Every now and then (probably once every two weeks or so) I will get a very painful sensation close to my anus (Think it is in my colon). The pain can get quite intense and after 10 minutes or so it will subside. I had this happen this week and it was extremely painful. I don’ t suffer from constipation and I also don’ t have any blood in my stool. I do also get this pain every now and then when I am passing stool.

Hallo Andre
You may be getting a spasm in the anus ( also called Proctalgia fugax). Proctalgia fugax may be associated with spastic contractions of the rectum or the muscular pelvic floor in irritable bowel syndrome. Other unproven associations are food allergies, especially to artificial sweeteners or caffeine. Stress may also play a role. There is no real effective treatment but massaging the area, heat (like a hot bath) or nitrogliserine suppositories may help. It is not a dangerous or harmful condition.