Question
Posted by: snazzy | 2008/09/12

painful breasts

symptom you get when your period is due, lumpy milk ducts, sore nipples, throbbing pain, heavy breasts, i have this all year round, have regular breasts exam when i have my annual checkup done at the gynae, have gone for a scan for my beasts as well, evening primrose oil tablets has been recommended for this problem, no signs/symptoms of cancer though. Tell me is there any other alternative ways of combating the pain instead of taking tablets regularly as i am not a big tablet fan.

Dear Snazzy

I would suggest that you have a hormone profile done including a prolactin and progesterone level. In many cases the breast sensitivity to progesterone is the main cause of the symptomatology. Unfortunately not much can be done regarding this but certainly if prolactin levels are elevated there are several preparations on the market to combat this problem.

Answered by: Dr.M.I.Cassim