Posted by: Erina Dell | 2009-10-02

Pain post op

I had a open umbilical hernia repair and a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy ten days ago. Although I got the ok from the Surgeon a day ago, I have problems now after the op that I did not have before. My bladder has been sensitive from the first time going to the loo, had no catheter but keep having shooting pains going up, from the bottom, also my bone closest to the rectum is paining. Stools is painfull to pass and this morning after i passed a stool, i had pain right down my left leg, it is like a pain but it also feels lame and in my lower back. According to the surgeon he did not touch my bladder but send a urine sample to the lab for harvesting. What I also experiences since the operation is pain in both my calves. I am extremely worried that i might have a bloodclot although he listened to my lungs and said it sounds fine. My head is also feeling quite strange, almost as if I drank a painkiller which I did not. I am really feeling worse than ever. What do I do now, do I go to my GP as the Surgeon says he is happy with me, or do I just pray that all of this will pass. I feel like it is just a question of time now. This is not normal. I have now more problems than before. Please help.

Erina Dell

I suggest that you consult your GP for a thorough examination, especially focussing on the lower back and possible lower back sciatica. He/she should definately check your calves to exclude deep vein trombosis.

Good Luck