Posted by: L | 2010-03-05

Pain on my left side of chest

Last night i was woken up with pain on my chest, left side around the breast. It is still there as i write (8am) this posting. It is not a sharp, deep pain but it is a cause for concern. I have been having these pains for the past two years now. A month ago i had similar one and went to see my GP who conducted an ECG and stress ECG. The results were negative. I can''t count how many times an ECG and blood tests for heart were done during the past two years. With every of these tests the results come out negative. I notice this pain comes after i had too much alcoholic drinks. A few days after, it surfaces. It mimicks the heart pain, sometimes it goes to my shoulder and my upper arm. I was once diagnosed with ulcers and am still taking Nexum from time to time. I know my stamoch is easily irritated by anything with alcohol and spices. Last weekend i had to much alcohol to drink. This pain is scaring me because i wouldn''t know when it would be coming from the heart or when i should consult. I wated a lot of money in the past two years running to trauma units every time i feel it, only for heart test results being negative. I go to the gym at an average of 5 days a week. I do cardio, weightlifting and any excercise without problems, except sometimes the discomfort in my chest that could be caused by the acid after i had alcohol drinks. What could be the problem?

It is essential to reframe from all alcoholic drinks and spicy foods. If your symptoms improve, you will know exactly what the cause is.

I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for a barium meal and a gastroscopy. It is possible that you have gastric reflux with gastric ulcers. This can be treated and maybe an antibiotic is necessary to treat H. Pylori which can be present as a cause of about 80% of gastric ulcers.

The alcohol and spicy foods can most probably be a trigger for severe chest discomfort and the symptoms that mimic a heart attack. Therefore, it is essential to cut these triggers out.