Question
Posted by: Salter | 2009-03-24

PAIN ON MY KNEES WHEN RUNNING

Hi. I experience pain on my knees when running, especially downhill. It feels as though the pain is behind the knee-cap. What could the cause be, and the solution thereof?

At times, the long bone below my knees also feels painful. Please, help.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Salter
This is common in runners and is caused by misalignment of the knee cap on the knee joint. Your knee moves up and down in a narrow little groove in your thigh bone when you run. When your kneecap moves out of its track, or rubs up against its sides, it causes inflammation called Chondromalacia of the patella ( Runners' knee). Relatively weak thigh muscles and a lack of foot support ( wrong shoes, inturning of foot when you run) can cause this.

You can treat this by icing your knees immediately after running. You can use commercially available cold packs or simply put a wet towel in the freezer before you run. Wrap the cold packs around each knee for about fifteen minutes to bring down the swelling. You can also take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen or aspirin after running, (with food and never before running).

Make sure you have the right kind of shoes for your foot type. This is best evaluated by a biokineticist. They can also give you thigh-strengthening exercises.