Posted by: Janine | 2010-01-27

Pain management during pregnancy

I had a low grade sarcoma (8-9 cm) removed in my upper right thigh about 18 months ago. I have been on various pain meds (Temgesic, Lentogesic, Tramacet) due to the severe pain caused by the nerve damage. I have completed my 4th course on Clomid, and is currently trying to conceive. My gynae advises that all pain meds be stopped, and does not offer any alternative treatement for the chronic pain. I am desperately looking for pain medication that is SAFE for my baby. I will not be able to go without any pain meds - I am trying and NOT coping.

Dear Janine

As this is not a particularly a fertility related issue I suggest that you refer this question to the Gynae Doc on the heath 24 website. Hover as a general rule strong pain medications such as the ones you have been on are generally contraindicated in pregnancy. The only safe pain medication in pregnancy would be paracetamol.

Answered by: Dr. Y.M. Dasoo