Our expert says:
Orthopaedic Specialist Forum
*Dr Danie Pauw started Health24 in 2001 with the vision of meeting the need for credible, easily accessible health and wellness information.
* The site is a joint venture between him and the 24.com group, which is the digital arm of Media24, part of Naspers, one of the world’s biggest media companies with particular interests in Russia, China and Brazil.
* Health24 is HONcode accredited. The Health On the Net Foundation Code of Conduct for medical and health websites addresses one of the chief concerns about the internet: the reliability and credibility of information, and membership is the golden stamp of approval regarding ethics and credibility.
* The site is now the biggest health and wellness site in the country, one of the biggest specialist sites, and in the top 15 sites in the country both in terms of domestic traffic, and in terms of local traffic.
* We have between 320,000 and 350,000 unique local browsers monthly. Just to clarify that figure: each visitor is only counted once, no matter how many times they return in a calendar month; and when we identify someone as local, it means they have come to Health24 via a local server. There are, however, South Africans who would come to the site via an international-based server (for instance people who work for multinational firms might get routed though their server at an international head office). Total traffic is in the region of 550,000 to 600,000 users a month.
* Page impressions – an indication of how many return visits people make, and how much they look around on the site – added up to just under 2,4 million in October, a fairly typical month.
* Our most important referring site is our sister site, News24. However, Health24 is also highly rated on Google, which means that anyone who Googles a medical term or condition would ordinarily be referred to Health24 within the first page of links that comes up.
* Demographically speaking, our readers are adult, employed (most people access the Net from work computers, and are 60% female (women tend to take responsibility for the health of the family). Traffic is spread across our medical condition centres, and our lifestyle zones.
* We have a wide array of experts, and our interactive chat and expert forums are among Health24’s distinguishing features. Over the years, Danie tells me, our experts have handled more than 600,000 questions – it’s an amazing resource for readers. Some of these are experts in non-medical areas (fitness, veterinary health, vitamins, podiatry etc). Including yourself, we have 20 medical doctor experts on the site (see list below). Joanne Hart, who you will have “met” electronically, monitors these forums to make sure that our experts’ time and input are respected.
I think that’s about it. Next year is going to be good one for us. We have some tremendously exciting marketing initiatives teetering on the edge of being formalised, and look forward to sharing that news with you when we can. And of course
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.