Question
Posted by: Sweet P | 2011-03-11

Pain in tummy while jogging

I have been jogging for about 5 weeks now - started slowly first week by walking. The next week started jogging for 7mins then walk for 3mins for a total of 40mins per day. This has been going on for the following 4weeks.

Two days ago, I have been experiencing cramp -like pain in my tummy. I end up jogging for about 5mins then walk again for 3mins till the pain goes away.

What could this be, I dont eat or drink anything before jogging and dont understand what it could be.

Please help as it is becoming uncomfortable
Sweet P

Is it a stitch? That happens mostly as a result of breathing, because of a spasm in the diaphragm. The solution is to slow the breathing rate, breathe more deeply and therefore to slow running for a while.

If it's not this, then it might be a muscle strain, but that's something you'd only really know if you felt it suddenly. And does it happen all the time, only infrequently?

If it's there all the time, then it is unlikely to be a stitch, but a muscle strain, in which case rest and avoiding pain are key, let it recover and then resume.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-03-23

Reply to fitnessdoc