Posted by: XXX | 2010-05-30

Pain in the back

I''m a 27 old female. About a month ago, I bent/arched my back quite far back while standing where my head almost ended up on my knee level (one of the drunken dance move attempts) . Since then my back feels bruised and sore and when I touch a specific area on my spine which is the bending point the pain increases. Yestrday I got a sudden shooting pain that made me unable to stand up and had to stay on all fours for almost 30min before I could attempt to get up. Could there be some serious damage I''ve done to my back or would it simply be a pinched nerve. The bruised pain has stayed the same for a month now without getting better or worse, except for the shooting pain episode.
Please help. Thank you

Expert ImageOsteopath

Firstly I would suggest you ice over the site of pain for about 7 minutes every 30 minutes to calm down the inflammation. Next apply heat above the symptomatic area. Try and lie down and avoid slouching.
With your dance move you have most likely strained the anatomy in your lower back.
For a thorough examination, diagnosis and treatment I suggest that you consult with your nearest osteopath asap