Posted by: Shirl | 2011-04-15

Pain in sinus

Hi There

I have very bad allergies, have had 2 sinus operations and grommets etc. Lately though my sinuses are very dry and i have occasional shooting pains in the right side cavity

Could it be an infection, i am quite worried about the pain as they are severe but are short lived

Any suggestions?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Shirl

I suggest you discuss this with your sinus surgeon, as dryness could be due to infection, or perhaps the incorrect uses of nasal sprays. This could be an urgent problem, as the misuse of certain sprays could lead to permanent damage. These do not include the topical nasal steroids, but your technique of using it is important. Permanent dryness of the sinus cavities lead to chronic infections, and is almost impossible to treat.
It is important to realise that surgery can not cure your allergies, and you will need permanent treatment to control the allergies. Correctly managing your allergies, will in the long run reduce your episodes of sinus infections.
The sinus pain needs to be discussed against the background of your previous surgery, or perhaps a current infection. See your ENT for advice.